Substance Abuse Counseling Assistant
The Substance Abuse Counseling Assistant program prepares graduates to assist a licensed counselor in case management of substance abuse treatment programs. Hands on education allows students to perform intakes, understand the role and ethics of counseling, and the process of assessing clients. Graduates also are prepared to implement and manage prevention and education programs.
Graduates of the Substance Abuse Counseling Assistant Program will:
Core Courses (76 Credit Hours)
- Demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and behavior required for entry-level employment.
- Demonstrate knowledge of treatment planning based on a biopsychosocial assessment of an individual's strengths, weaknesses, problems, and needs.
- Demonstrate knowledge of cultural diversity as it applies to treatment planning of chemically dependent clients.
- Demonstrate knowledge of established professional codes of ethics as it relates to substance abuse counseling.
- Have a general education background necessary for competency in entry-level employment.
SA 101: Introduction to Substance Abuse - 4 credits
SA 120: Laws & Ethics of Counseling - 4 credits
SA 130: Case Management - 4 credits
SA 201: Individual Counseling & Theories - 4 credits
SA 210: Prevention Advocacy - 4 credits
SA 220: Group & Family Counseling - 4 credits
SA 230: Adolescence & Addiction - 4 credits
SA 231: Fundamentals of Practice - 4 credits
SA 240: Community Mental Health - 4 credits
SA 250: Abnormal Behavior - 4 credits
SA 260: Substance Abuse Externship - 0 credits
GE 211: Drug Awareness - 4 credits
GE 200: General Psychology - 4 credits
GE 201: Introduction to Sociology - 4 credits
AC 101: Principles of Accounting I - 4 credits
CM 250: Business Communications - 4 credits
CS 101: Intro to Computers - 4 credits
MA 141: Business Mathematics I - 4 credits
WP 254: Word I - 4 credits
WP 255: Word II - 4 credits
General Education Courses (24 Credit Hours)
CM 101: Ethics & Professionalism - 4 credits
EN 161: English Composition I - 4 credits
EN 162: English Composition II - 4 credits
3 Additional GE Elective Courses - 12 credits
Electives (8 Credit Hours)
2 Approved Elective Courses - 8 credits
Associate's Degree Requirements
Total Quarter Hours: 108
Length of Time: 18 months - Maximum full-time enrollment
27 months - Minimum full-time enrollment
Click here to view details about the Substance Abuse Counseling Assistant Courses offered in the Substance Abuse Counseling Assistant Program.