An Associate’s Degree in Medical Assisting offers intensive medical studies with practical clinical and laboratory training in a simulated medical environment. Students also learn office administration skills which give them an increased number of career options in every area of medicine. The Medical Assisting Associate’s Degree Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP), on recommendation of the Curriculum Review Board of the American Association of Medical Assistants Endowment (AAMAE).
Graduates of the Medical Assisting Degree Program will:
Core Courses (72 Credit Hours)
- Demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and behavior required for entry-level employment.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of medical ethics and professionalism as it relates to the healthcare setting.
- Demonstrate competency in office administrative skills.
- Perform clinical and laboratory skills proficiently.
- Have a general education background necessary for competency in entry-level employment.
ME 181: Medical Terminology I - 4 credits
ME 182: Medical Terminology II - 4 credits
ME 191: Medical Ethics & First Aid - 4 credits
ME 184: Anatomy I - 4 credits
ME 280: Anatomy II - 4 credits
ME 281: Anatomy III - 4 credits
ME 282: Clinical Procedures I - 4 credits
ME 283: Clinical Procedures II - 4 credits
ME 285: Laboratory Procedures - 4 credits
ME 286: Pharmacology - 4 credits
ME 289: Medical Externship - 0 credits
ME 291: Electronic Health Records - 4 credits
AC 101: Principles of Accounting I - 4 credits
CM 250: Business Communications - 4 credits
CS 101: Intro to Computers - 4 credits
MA 141: Business Mathematics I - 4 credits
ME 279: Medical Office Practice - 4 credits
WP 254: Word I - 4 credits
WP 255: Word II - 4 credits
General Education Courses (24 Credit Hours)
CM 101: Ethics & Professionalism - 4 credits
EN 161: English Composition I - 4 credits
EN 162: English Compositions II - 4 credits
GE 200: General Psychology - 4 credits
2 Additional GE Elective Courses - 8 credits
Electives (12 Credit Hours)
3 Approved Elective Courses - 12 credits
Associate's Degree Requirements
Total Quarter Hours: 108
Typing Speed: 40 WPM
* A supervised, unpaid externship of at least 160 contact hours in an ambulatory health care setting performing administrative and clinical procedures must be completed prior to graduation.
Length of Time: 18 months - Maximum full-time enrollment
27 months - Minimum full-time enrollment
Consumer Information for graduation rates, placement rates and the median debt of students who completed the program.
Click here to view the Medical Courses offered in the Medical Assisting Program.
Graduates of the Medical Assisting program at Huntington Junior College are satisfied with the education that they receive at Huntington Junior College, as there is an average 100% graduate satisfaction rate over the past five years.